Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Adding XRF data

Adding XRF data 6 years 2 months ago #4

Hi, I've just started to look into using Movida as a way of managing sampling and photographic data, but I'm having trouble uploading XRF data into the package. We are using a Bruker AXS Tracer III-V portable XRF in association with Bruker's software S1PXRF. This can output data as a .PDZ .csv or .txt. I've tried bring this data into Movida using "Inport techniques" and selecting one of these files (I've tried all three). This brings up a loading image and the error message "error reading file.null". Any help with this would be great. Am I trying to upload the wrong type of data?

Edit: Ok fiddled around some more and I've realised that the import tool doesn't do what I had thought and i need to add the spectra through "add point to technique", selecting a txt file. What I'm still wondering about is how to add comments that label the spectra peaks to the chart. Is this done in Movida or does this have to be done in a different package before opening the txt file? Any help would be appreciated.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Jmarch2008. Reason: update question
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Adding XRF data 6 years 1 month ago #5

Dear Movida User,

to upload data you have to first add the technique (not import). Then you can start adding points to the technique to each point you can associate the data.
XRF data is more tricky than others because you can either upload a regular x,y file or a single column file + calibration. You have to specify this in the experimental conditions table. If you have a regular xy file just write NO in the field "Fitting needed".

Import data is used when the data has already been created in another project and you want to merge them.

If you still have problems you can send me the file you want to visualize or we can make an appointment through skype.

Good luck!
Anna.

Re: Adding XRF data 6 years 1 month ago #6

Regarding adding comments to the plot you have to first individuate the coordinates xy were you want to add the comment. This can be done by clicking on the chart where you want to add the comment (you will see the coordinates displayed in the top left panel). Then you have to add it to the point-spectra data in the Plot comments table. "x, y" are the coordinates "Orientation" is the angle of the arrow that will point the spectral feature and "comment" is the text that will be shown.

For now this process is manual. Lately, we have been talking with some users about the possibility of making it automatically by analyzing the main peaks of the spectrum. However I only see it feasible for XRF data were the interpretation is quite straightforward if there spectrum is well calibrated.

Re: Adding XRF data 6 years 1 month ago #7

Hi Anna, thanks for your help. Just to follow up on labeling spectra, I think you're right, getting the program to automatically label could be problematic. An alternative that would be more user friendly could be to have an option to right click on the point you want to label and type straight in rather than having to transfer the co-ordinates into a separate box.

Adding XRF data 4 years 2 months ago #239

Hi!
I also have a Bruker Tracer with the S1PXRF software, and can't see the spectra in MoViDa, even with .txt or .csv format. The raw data in txt file only have one column of counts, maybe that is the problem? I follow the instructions of this topic, but only see a white graph.
Any idea?

PD. a example file attached
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by mauriciobenjamin.

Adding XRF data 4 years 2 months ago #240

Hi Mauricio.

If it has just one column it means that is has to be treated with calibration. You won't be able to read it with Origin or other software either. The column that you see is the y of the graph and the x has to be obtained usually as:

x=a*i*i+b*i+c (quadratic) or x=b*i+c (simple)

where a, b, c are the calibration parameters that the bruker software gives you.

You should get these parameters from bruker software and in MOVIDA, when you put the spectra information introduce them and set Calibration needed to YES.

If you have many points you don't have to introduce the calibration all the time. When you create a new point MOVIDA gets the last Calibration data that you have entered. I'm not an XRF expert but as far as I know the calibration with broker does not change unless you recalibrate with the standard.

Hope it helps,
Anna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mauriciobenjamin
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds